If you are a Canadian citizens or permanent residents, you can sponsor your parents and grandparents to come to Canada.

Here is how the program works:

Step 1: First you will need to be an eligible sponsors, if you are then you need to submit an interest to sponsor form within IRCC’s specified deadline.

Step 2: After the deadline, IRCC will review the form submissions

Then they randomly select and invite potential sponsors to apply to sponsor their parents and grandparents.

Step 3: If you’re invited to apply, IRCC must receive your application package by the deadline that’s in your invitation.

Q) How can I show proof of income to sponsor my parents and grandparents?

A) You must provide your Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for each of the three taxation years immediately preceding the date of your application.

There are two ways you can do this:

  1. Give IRCC permission to get your tax information directly from CRA.
  2. Send IRCC the paper copies of your Notices of Assessment.

Q) Can I sponsor more than one person through the parents and grandparents program?

A) Yes, you may sponsor more than one person if you want to. You will need to submit separate applications for each person (or couple) you sponsor. It is important to remember that you will have to meet the income requirements for all people you apply to sponsor and their dependants.

Q) Can I sponsor my in-laws under the Parents and Grandparents Program?

A) No, you can only sponsor your own parents and grandparents.

Q) How long am I financially responsible for the family member or relative I sponsor?

A) To become a sponsor, you must promise to financially take care of the persons you are sponsoring for a period of time. The time period you’re financially responsible for parents and grandparents is 20 years.

Q) Can my parents and grandparent’s sponsorship application be rejected based on their health?

A) Your application can be refused if the parents or grandparents have a medical condition that puts an excessive demand on Canadian health or social services. There is a cost threshold for the calculation of the excessive demand which for the year 2021 was $21,798.