What is Post Graduate Work Permit

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

Eligibility Requirement’s for PGWPP:

  • Must apply within 180 days after written confirmation of completed studies and have a valid study permit at some point during these 180 days.
  • Work Permits are generally issued for the same length of study program for people who studies in programs of more than 8 months, but under 2 years in length.
  • For programs 2 years or longer, the PGWP may be issued for three years.
  • Distance learning courses outside of Canada will be excluded from the length of the PGWP.
  • Time studying overseas as part of the program does not count towards the length of the PGWP
  • No prior PGWP has been issued.
  • Graduates applying for a PGWP before the expiry date of their study permit, can work full time while waiting for a decision on their application.

FAQ related to PGWP

Q: Can I work anywhere, in any type of job, under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program?

A: The post-graduation work permit is an open work permit. This means that you can work in any occupation anywhere in Canada, and change employers any time you wish.

Q: Can I Enter Express Entry and use my post graduation work experience?

A: Yes, if you gained skills in NOC skill type 0 or skill level A or B you can qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class within Express Entry.

Q: I am waiting for my post graduation work permit. Can I travel outside and come back with my student visa?

A: you can leave and come back to Canada as long as your Visa is valid. When you return to Canada you may enter if your study permit is still valid and if IRCC approves your post graduation work permit while you were away, you will enter as a worker. If you are away and IRCC is still processing your post graduation work permit, you may enter as a visitor and can work without a permit until IRCC makes a decision on your application.

Q: Can my spouse or partner work while I am on post graduate work permit?

A: Your spouse can get an open work permit if your job is in NOC 0, A, B