In Canada, each province and territory is in charge of their own education system. Provinces and territories also approve (or “designate”) schools that can enrol international students. These schools are known as designated learning institutions (DLI). However, all primary and secondary schools in Canada are DLIs. So you can search a list of the post-secondary schools, such as colleges and universities, and language schools that have been designated. Every school has different rules on how to apply, so once you choose your school you need to find out how to apply to it, it is recommended that you take the time to search through the schools, connect the schools to learn about the programs they offer and whether or not you meet the requirements of the programs, tuition fees, language tests and etc. Once you go through the school application process and you get accepted, the acceptance letter would be used to apply for the study permit.

Here is a list of Study Permit Requirements:

  • Program of More than 6 months in duration
  • Any program that requires a coop of internship
  • A minor accompanying parents who is in Canada as a visitor
  • The person is from a visa-exempt country

Validity of the Study Permit

  • For primary schools 1 year and can be renewed in Canada
  • For secondary Schools, college or university, same length of study program, plus 90 days to a maximum 4 years.
  • If you are changing your school and its at the same level program you will not need a new study permit.

Some people Can apply for study within Canada

  • Spouse/common law partner of family members who are being sponsored
  • Person or family member holding a study or work permit
  • Exchange or visiting students
  • Family or staff of foreign representative, Canadian team athletes, media representatives, military personnel,
  • Temporary resident permit holder- permit must be valid for at least 6 months
  • Students who completed a short program as a condition of their acceptance at a DLI

FAQ related to study permit and student

Q) I heard health care in Canada is free, does the Government pay for my health as an International Student?

A) The Government of Canada doesn’t pay for the medical costs of foreign students. It would be good to connect the school you are applying to for more information about health insurance.

Q) Can I bring my spouse, common law partner or dependent children with me to Canada as an International student?

A) Yes, you may be able to bring your spouse or common-law partner, and dependent children, with you to Canada.

Q) Can my children go to school in Canada and do they also need a study permit?

A) Generally, minor children need to apply for a study permit from outside of Canada, if they want to go to study in Canada. However, a minor child can go to school without a study permit if one of the parent is permitted to study or work in Canada