All about working while on Study Permit

Working while Studying as an International Student on a Study Permit

If you are working on Campus:

  • You need to have a valid study permit, work permit is not required
  • You need to be enrolled at the school for full time

If you are working off Campus:

  • You need valid study permit, work permit is not required
  • Enrolled as a full time at a DLI and the program must be at least 6 months in duration
  • You Can work 20 hr/ week during academic session and full time during holidays.

Co-op or Intern

  • Valid study permit and work permit required
  • The employment must be an essential part of the academic program in Canada (ESL/FSL/General interest/preparatory programs) not eligible but no more than 50%

FAQ related to working studying.

Q) Is there restriction on the kind of job I can do off the campus?

A) You may work for any employer in Canada who is not on the ineligible employer list, as long as you continue to comply with the requirements of the off-campus work authorization.

Q) Can I work more than 20hr/week?

A) No. If you’re eligible to work off-campus, you can work up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. During scheduled breaks, like the summer or winter holidays and spring break, you’re allowed to work more than 20 hours.

Q) Can I begin working as soon as I enter Canada and before the start of my program?

A) You cannot begin working until you start studying

Q) Can my spouse or common law partner work while I am in school?

A) Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permitif you:

  • have a valid study permit
  • are eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) and
  • are a full-time student at one of these types of schools
    • a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • a private college-level school in Quebec
    • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree)

Q) Can my spouse or common law partner begin working as soon as we enter Canada?

A) Your Spouse cannot begin working until you have started studying.